Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Favorite Cranberry Stuff for Thankgsgiving

I am not much of a "foodie" but I do like to cook.  What follows is one of my favorite holiday recipes.  It is for a Cranberry Compote but I prefer to call it Cranberry Chutney or just "My Favorite Cranberry Stuff only because I don't really know what a compote is (and it sounds too much like compost) and I don't know the technicalities of a Chutney so I don't think this is really one of those.

Anyway, this is my kind of recipe because you don't really measure much...Jake helped make a double batch this morning.

1 bag of fresh cranberries
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1-2 medium apples cored and diced (I prefer Granny Smith.  Use whatever you like.  Peel or don't)
handfull of raisins or golden raisins or both
Cup of sugar

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.  Larger is better than smaller (isn't that true about most things in life?).  Heat over medium heat stirring occassionally.  As the cranberries heat up they will pop open.  As the mixture heats up and things get popping, turn heat down to low.  Please be very carefull, this becomes dangerously hot.  Once it starts to thicken, turn the heat off completely.  Cover and let sit until cool.  Refrigerate and enjoy!  Because it needs to cool and is best after being refrigerated I ususally make it the day before or even a few days ahead.

While I was doing the zesting thing this morning Jake was carefully inspecting the cranberries to find the few who were not worthy.  He helped with the juicing, measuring of the sugar, dumping-in of the same, and taste tested each of the apples.

The colors of this are amazing.  I think I may have to try to replicate this in a yarn.  Hmmm...

Happy Thanksgiving!!



No comments:

Post a Comment