Pages

Monday, April 24, 2006

Knitting into the Black Hole of a sock foot

I cast on the second sock of the grey striped pair for my DH on Friday but only got the first 8 rows of K2 tbl, P2 ribbing done. I made up for that, however, over the weekend. On Saturday I made it to half-way down the heel flap and yesterday I finished the flap, turned the heel, picked up the gusset stitches and made it past the decrease rows onto the main part of the foot. Now, I am knitting into the ever present black hole that is the center part of the foot. He wears a size 10 shoe so the foot is an inch or two longer than one I would knit for myself but things could be much worse. Thankfully this is a self patterning yarn and makes wide stripes (8 rows). This helps alliviate the boredom somewhat. Sufice it to say that I have 37 rows to go to the toe shaping...

I am anxious to get this sock done for two reasons...

1. This is the first pair of socks I have made for him and I am hoping he enjoys the feel of hand-knit socks as much as I do

2. As soon as I finish this sock I can cast-on the second of my Jaywalkers for ME!

Then there is the ever-growing list of socks I want to make for people...Mom for Mother's Day, a second pair for my son, "The Monkey (the 9 year old)", a pair for my Dad for Father's Day, more for ME, and the list goes on... At this rate I will never get some of the bigger projects that are sitting idley (is that a word?) by in the giant heap that is the UFO pile done! But I will have lots of cool and comfy socks...oh, well. You win some, you lose some, and sometimes you just keep doing socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment