Pages

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Fearless Knitter coming to a computer/Blackberry/smartphone near you Aug 15th

I have only been knitting for 4 1/2 years now. Every thing I know is self taught either from books, a few videos I found on-line, magazines, from watching "Knitty Gritty", or from Sephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka the Yarn Harlot).

My first project was a baby blanket with a simple lace design. My second project was a sweater for myself knit out of Lion Brand Thick n Quick. It is so warm I can't wear it indoors. After that, I designed and knit sweaters for my 3 sons and my husband. The sweater for the youngest, Jake, was a little bit of stranded color work and the other 3 were striped. These were all before I had been knitting for 10 months.

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Photography from the Moore College of Art and Design. A college friend of mine graduated with a degree in fashion design. Except for criticism or suggestions for her, I never had any interest in fashion design. I still don't. Except for knitwear.

I don't really get it. I have no idea what possessed me to want to learn to knit in the first place. It was completely out of the blue. Once I got the hang of it I was completely hooked. After that first sweater I have not knit anything exactly as the pattern was written. I have made modifications. In fact, I have only used 3 or 4 patterns at all.

Recently I have begun making my own designs. There are so many challenges to this that I can't believe I'm actually doing it! It takes a lot longer when you end up knitting something 4 times because you just couldn't get it the way you wanted (as if fitting were important)the first 3 times you tried it. But who's counting?

All I know is that it is all I think about and all I want to do and I can't wait until I don't have to work nights anymore and the kids go back to school and I can do this full time. The thought of not having a job should terrify me. But it doesn't. When it comes to my knitting I am not afraid to try anything and I'm not afraid to rip out a row or a whole garment if it isn't working. This is the only thing in my life that I have ever been fearless about. So, that is why I decided to start a new blog. It is going to be about just my knitting and designing. I am going to keep this one for everything else. I still have to set up the layout of the new one and I don't plan to make the first post until I am done at the warehouse on Aug 14th. Wow! I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment