Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

On getting older (and our budget)

I need to go to the grocery store. There is a list (mostly compiled by me because other members of the family either don't notice when they use the last of something or figure an audible is sufficient but that is another post) of things I need to get.  Last week I noticed my roots are starting to show. I realized that I am coming up on four weeks since I last recharged my mane.  So I put hair color on the list.

Our budget is beyond tight right now. As I looked at the list on my way past the fridge the hair color caught my attention.  Sure, I think my red hair suits my complexion and my temperament better than my natural color but is it worth the $12-$16 a month (not to mention the time and the fumes) that I pay?

Some people color their hair to cover grey.  I've always said that I like my grey because it is really more of a sparkly silver.  It's the mouse-brown I've never been fond of. (My apologies to mice everywhere but mouse-brown sounds better than shit-brown).

At this point I'm not even sure how much grey I really have.  It's been a few years since I went back to being a redhead. At that time I had a lot of grey around my temples but it was underneath the brown. So. The only time it really showed much was when I pulled my hair back off my face.  It will be interesting to see how much there really is and where.

So, this could get interesting over the next few months as I return to my roots. And I figure this will (at the very least) give me a few dollars for the yarn budget. After all, that's what life is all about...More Yarn For Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment