B. E. S. T. Salad (Bacon or Beer or Both Essential Spicy Taters)
This makes a huge serving bowl full, enough for 16-20 people. Modify to suit the size of your crowd.
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Dried Minced Onion (or use a few onions coarsely chopped and cook with either green beans or potatoes)
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon White Pepper
1/4 Cup Salt
5 lbs Potatoes, washed, peeled, cut into 1" cubes
2 lbs Green Beans, washed and trimmed
1 lb Bacon
1/2 Cup Oil and Vinegar Salad dressing (whatever you prefer)
Additional Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a large mixing bowl combine olive oil and spices
3. Spoon half of the oil and spice mix into a second large mixing bowl
4. Add the green beans to one bowl and the potatoes to the other
5. Using large baking sheets with sides (jelly roll pan) spread the potatoes and green beans in even layers and bake each for 40 min to an hour, scraping off the bottom of the baking pan and turning every 20 minutes until tender.
6. Allow to cool in pans
7. While veggies are cooling, cook bacon until crisp
8. Crumble bacon and toss the bacon, potatoes, green beans and salad dressing together in a large serving bowl.
9. Salt to taste.
You might want to have a beer or other cold beverage handy when you start nibbling on this...it packs a KICK!