Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gettysburg Battlefield in Autumn: Part 1-Fog

I have become rather fascinated with images from the Gettysburg Battlefield.  I went there last winter on a whim never having been there at any time of year other that summer and not in over a decade.  I was captivated by the profound sense of sadness and stillness of this place.  I have never personally seen any sort of ghost or spectral image there but I can tell you without a doubt that it is in fact haunted.  But not in any sort of evil or mischievous way; in a very somber and sobering way.  It is a place of aching beauty and remembrance.

I have promised myself that I will make the drive down (it takes only about an hour from my house) more often and in different seasons. (This past Spring is here and last Winter is here.) So, recently, I drove down early enough in the morning to get there before sunrise on an Autumn day that hopefully would give me some fog.  So, since the fog was my primary goal for this photo shoot I will start with those images.  Many themes emerged that day, and subsequent posts will address them.  For today, however, I hope you find these images as moving as I did when I made them.













And, as a final note as this is being published on Veterans Day.  A simple and heart-felt thank you to all of the individuals, their families, and their loved ones, who have ever served their country.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos of Gettysburg are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's a very special place to me. I hope that comes across in the images.

    ReplyDelete