Sunday, July 08, 2007

Bringing in hay

These pictures are actually from May. I am trying to improve the regularity of my posting and as such am sort of catching up on photos also. Jake wanted to help so much! Unfortunately, he didn't understnd when told that the best way he could help was to stay out of the way and not get himself hurt. Behind him (chopped off at the shoulders) is CJ (the almost teenager). Whose limitless energy would have been a huge help were it not for the fact that the hay bales still weigh more than he does...that should change in a couple more years.

Max was a huge help. I moved bales from 2 (okay 1 and a 1/2) of the 3 trucks. My back wouldn't hear of my doing any more than that. Between being overweight, out of shape, and having a bad back I was pretty useless. Max came to the rescue and put bales on the elevator and then also went up in the loft to help my Dad put them away. Oh, to be a young teenager with strength and stamina again...

This is the newest edition to Mom and Dad's herd. Her name is 'Rosie'. I don't know how she got that name or if she has a longer registered name (she is a Pony of the Americas). My neice, Katie, is attempting to bring her in without a such luck.

Here is the entire group. Buttons is off somewhere training (I think in the Philadelphia area but don't know for sure where). Harley has moved to Florida where my neice, Haley rides him. Bandit, my Mom's Appaloosa, died this winter. Dan (registered name Yankey Doodle) is on the far right and Muffy (Little Miss Muffit) is in the middle. Dan is now 23, Muffy is aprox 6 or 7, and I think Rosie is only about 4...I'm never sure on the ponys' ages. But, the Old Man was my horse (back in the day when I was thin enough to ride) and I will always remember how old he is.

What a pretty little girl!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful horses and family! We had a horse while growing up, and it was a lot of fun... and hard work.

    Entrelac- I found that decreasing the number of stitches dramatically between the band and the 'tiles' worked really well. (I decreased initially by 16% the first two rounds of tiles or squares, then 33% of the original number thereafter. For the heel I used 50% of the orig. # of stitches.)

    I think you just need to play around until you find a fit that works. Eunny Jang's Entrelac socks start at the toe, then uses a smaller overall number to create a flatter fabric. (Otherwise it puckers like crazy!)