Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Last weekend I bought a new black lace camisole. I was thinking of it more as a tank top but the straps are lacy and it really is more camisole than tank. Anyway, I like wearing tops like this to work (now that the temperature in my office is tolerable) but I have to wear something over the top to cover my arms (and decolatage...sometimes, when the drivers start leering) and keep the whole thing respectable. So, I decided to knit a shrug to wear over this new thing. I started on Monday. I had hoped to finish on Wednesday but had to give in to sleep. I finally finished it Sunday. The problem is that I don't like it with the top it was intended with. I wear a 2x or about a size 20-24 depending on the cut on top. I'm thinking this thing is more like a 16-18.
This is me taking a photo in the mirror without the benefit of also being able to see through the viewfinder...I thought a straight-on photo with the camera in my face would defeat the purpose of trying to see me in it. The back looks okay. It's the front that bugs me...it wants to pull back along the edge that goes from the back of my neck to the underarm...
Can you see what I mean? If the straps on this thing were wider it might be okay. The other problem is these straps are too long/loose/stretchy. I will have to tighten/shorten them to be able to wear this thing without being too self conscious. It feels like it wants to fall down and it's already low enough!
This was originally going to be all pink but I soon realized there was no way the 3 skeins of pink that I was using up from the stash were going to make it (Moda Dea Ticker Tape...discontinued, I think). So I used Lion Brand Incredible in Accent on Black held together with Lion Brand Microspun in black and saved a little of the pink for some edging (I-cord). There was no written down pattern. I measured from arm to arm around my back and multiplied by guage and we were off and flying. When it got to the point where it was wide enough to go around my arms I would pick up the end stitch from the cast-on row with the first stitch on the needle and knit them together (sort of like a bizarre 3 needle bind off). The only problem there is that I am not a good judge of how large something is and also forgot that your arms get BIGGER as they get closer to your body (Duh...) So, I would bind togther just 3 stitches at a time. Sort of a combination of short rows and binding off. The sleeves have a negative ease as a result.
I still like it. I just don't like it with the top that originally inspired it. I guess I just need to get over that, wear it with something else (less revealing), and knit something else for this top (after I fix the straps). I haven't tried cardigans yet... Of course, there is also EZ's surprize jacket...
Posted by Sue Baiman at 9:16 AM